BrewDemon Conical Fermenter Review
This BrewDemon Conical Fermenter Is The Perfect Size To Easily Brew Up To 2-Gallons Of Your Favorite Beer, Wine, Cider, or Kombucha.
Just so you are aware, some of the links below are affiliate links. With no additional cost to you, AtHomeBrewer may earn a commission if you click through and a purchase is made.
For those who love to brew their own beer, we all know how important it is to make the entire brewing process as simple as possible, this 3-gallon Conical Fermenter from BrewDemon can help you brew a better batch of beer just like the professionals, only in smaller amounts.
When brewing with this fermentation system, you eliminate the need to transfer from the primary fermenter, then to a second fermenter, then to a bottling bucket, and then finally to the bottles.
All of the fermentation takes place in just one vessel and allows you to watch the fermentation action taking place.
- 1 BrewDemon Fermenter Review
- 2 The Four Steps To Brewing Beer With BrewDemon
- 3 Things To Consider Before Buying
- 4 Features & Benefits
- 5 Pros
- 6 Cons
- 7 What’s In The Box?
- 8 2-Gallon Signature Recipe Kits
- 9 Other Alternatives
- 10 Final Say
BrewDemon Fermenter Review
BrewDemon claims that this is the “World’s First” small-batch conical fermenting system. Whether or not that is true, this 3-gallon fermenter (which can brew 2 or 2.5-gallon batches) works great for beer, hard cider, wine, or mead.
Unlike stainless steel or glass carboys, this plastic conical fermenter is made of heat-tolerant, food-grade PVC plastic, and is available in two variations. You can order it in clear, like the photo above, or choose amber instead. The clear tank can give you a better visual of the fermenting beer, but the amber may help protect against UV rays which are harmful to the beer.
Not only will you do all of your fermenting in just this one vessel, but the conical design allows for easy transfer into bottles once the fermentation is finished.
Keep in mind that this fermenter is for small-batch brewers only, as it can only handle less than 3 gallons at a time. This company does make the Big Demon, a plastic conical fermenter that can handle 8 gallons, but this particular model is small batch only. If you are looking to brew in bulk, look elsewhere.
The Four Steps To Brewing Beer With BrewDemon
Making your own craft beer can’t be much simpler when using this conical fermenter. You will be able to drink your beer in just 14 days.
1) Sanitize Your Equipment: Make sure you have a no-rinse sanitizer like Star-San on hand before you start. EVERYTHING that will come into contact with the beer will have to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.
2) Brew: Pick a recipe kit from the many choices available. BrewDemon’s simple beer recipes only take about 15 minutes to prepare, and then you are on your way to brewing beer. The beer recipes are NOT included with the purchase of just the fermenter.
3) Bottle & Carbonate: After the beer has finished fermenting, it’s time to bottle. You can transfer directly from the spigot to the bottles of your choice.
4) Drink & Enjoy: After about 2 weeks, you are ready to sit back, relax, and drink your very own home brew.
Things To Consider Before Buying
Before buying, it is always wise to take the time and do a little research so you don’t have any unsuspected surprises when open the box and start brewing.
The Brewing Batch Size
This conical fermenter is specifically geared for those homebrewers who like to make small batches at a time and take the guesswork and science out of brewing.
If you are looking to brew five gallons or more, you might want to consider other options.
The Physical Size & Weight Of The Unit
Many conical fermenters are made from stainless steel, which makes them much larger in size and heavier. Sometimes the size and weight of these other options are what keep people from buying.
This model is compact and lightweight because the tank is made of plastic instead of glass or stainless steel, and only weighs about 3 pounds. The smaller size will allow you to brew from practically anywhere and can be easily transported and stored away.
How Involved Do You Want To Be?
If you like to experiment and tweak your beer recipes, this particular model is probably not for you. The beer recipes for this conical use malt extract that is already “pre-hopped,” which eliminates a few steps in the traditional brewing process.
If you want to brew a great batch of beer, but looking to do it the most efficient way, this system will do the job.
Features & Benefits
Because of its small physical size, it is easy to transport and does not take up a lot of space. You can practically brew anywhere that you have a counter.
Also, because of the size, you could have multiple fermenters going at the same time, making a couple of different batches of beer at once, without committing to larger batches.
- Large wide-mouth opening – Makes it easy to clean and add ingredients
- Unique venting system – Allows the necessary CO2 to be released while keeping bacteria out
- Liquid volume measurements – Easy to add the correct amount of liquids to the tank
- Smooth inner-wall surface – Smooth surfaces make it difficult for bacteria to hide
- Adjustable spigot – Control the flow rate and can attach a hose for bottling
- Saves time and makes brewing simple
- Designed for easy cleaning
- Beautiful design and well-constructed
- Reasonably priced
- The capacity size is too small for some homebrewers
- Plastic spigots can crack and fail
- Cannot use acid-based sanitizer like Star-San
What’s In The Box?
- Plastic Conical Fermenter (Clear or Amber)
- Fermenter Base
- Stick-On Temperature Gauge
- Adjustable Spigot
- CO-2 Vent Plug
- Airlock With Lid Gasket
2-Gallon Signature Recipe Kits
BrewDemon has many different beer or hard cider ingredient recipe kits to choose from, that will have to be ordered separately. Each one will make two gallons of your very own beer.
- American Prophecy Ale
- Cult Classic American Ale
- Evil Pilsner
- Wicked Irish Stout
- Shedu Oatmeal Stout
- Hellfire Deep Red Ale
- Wild Spirit IPA
- Twisted Monk Witbier
- Sinful Swill Vienna Lager
- Black Bishop Dopplebock
- Ye Olde Devil Nut Brown Ale
- Forbidden Fruit Hard Cider
- Blueberry Hard Cider
- Blackberry Hard Cider
- Boysenberry Hard Cider
- Red Tart Cherry Hard Cider
As with all homebrewing equipment, there are always other options when it comes to finding another product that might be more suitable for you.
We have reviewed a few other alternatives that may fit your brewing style or needs better. Check out our review page of our favorite conical fermenters.
Craft a Brew Fermentation System
Ss Brewtech Brew Bucket
If you are a homebrewer looking for a cost-effective small batch conical style fermenter, this conical fermenter from BrewDemon is a great place to start.
No, you can’t make more than a few gallons at a time, and you don’t have a lot of control when it comes to the beer brewing process, but you can still make some good homebrew that you and your friends will enjoy.
We liked this particular style because of the high quality, and simple design, and it has a far more reasonable price than other options on the market, which makes it quite affordable. It also has a 2-year warranty to go along with telephone customer support.
If you like this style and model but would like some additional add-ons, you might want to have a look at the Signature Pro complete beer-making kit that comes with a bunch of extras, including the recipe kit, beer bottles, and more!