Just so you are aware, some of the links below are affiliate links. With no additional cost to you, AtHomeBrewer may earn a commission if you click through and a purchase is made.
So you’ve probably heard about the Growler uKeg 64 and want to know a little more about it. Well, it’s a portable pressurized keg which can hold up to 64-ounces of your favorite beer.
This growler is great for someone who is looking to travel with their beer to a friend’s house, or going camping with the brew they have made. The uKeg 64 is a quality and well-made little keg that can keep any style or type of beer, soda, kombucha, cider, or sparkling wine fresh for hours.
About the Growlerwerks uKeg 64
The growlerwerks uKeg 64 is a metal pressurized portable keg, which can only be described as a device you would need if you plan on taking your craft beer away with you on trips.
It’s easy enough to use, easy to clean and will outlast any bumps and scrapes it goes through. To put it into a short bulleted list, I’d say the following.
- Made out of high-quality parts
- Alternative to a more expensive mini-kegerator or draft beer dispenser
- Can be used for many different types of beverages
- Easy to transport
- Price may be out of range for some
- Some disassembly is required for a good cleaning
- Some parts will need replacing after time
Who Should Buy It?
If you are a homebrewer who likes to share your beer with others, or someone who likes to go to your local brewery and take home some fresh draft beer, this growler is just what you might be looking for.
The Growlerwerks uKeg 64 is small enough that it is portable for camping trips, for road trips and of course, you can bring it to your friend’s house to give them a taste of some awesome craft beer you’ve been making.
What Comes in the Box?
- uKeg 64
- (2) 8-gram CO2 cartridges
- CO2 cartridge sleeve
- Regulator cap
- Owners manual
- Custom assembly tool
- 1.5mm hex tap handle wrench
- Spare cartridge seal
- Surgeon General’s warning (Required in some states)
- Protective bag
There are quite a few general features that come along with this beer growler.
The vessel that holds the beer is a double-walled, vacuum-insulated, and made from durable 18/8 stainless steel that will keep your beer cold all day when it’s not refrigerated. Once refrigerated your beer can stay fresh for up to a week or more.
When ordering, you can choose between three different colors and finishes: Black chrome, stainless steel, or copper. And if you don’t think the 64 ounce keg is beg enough, you can double the size and choose the large 128-ounce model.
Variable Pressure Regulation (VPR) Cap
- Once you set the pressure, it will stay there. The great thing is, it will automatically regulate, so the pressure inside is optimized for the ambient temperature outside. Just choose your carbonation level, with a range of 0 – 15 psi.
- The pressure gauge is located at the bottom of the keg, so it is easy to read. It’s circular design makes it one-glance worthy as it’s nice and clear.
- The tap handle can be changed, so you can add some personalization to the growler. The handles can take silicone, rubber, metal, or wood.
- It shows how much of your tasty beer you have left inside. At a 64-ounce capacity, which is only 4 or 5 beers, make sure you keep an eye on this so you know when it’s time for a refill.
- It uses a single food-grade CO2 cartridge to pressure and carbonation. The cartridges are in-expensive, but they will need replacing after 2 or 3 maximum capacity keg uses. To replace it, just unscrew the cap and drop it in. It is very simple to replace, but it does mean that you will have to expose the beverage inside in order to replace it.
- Because of the tight-fitting pressure cap, it will keeps your beer fresh for 1 to 2 weeks if kept in the refrigerator.
- The tap can pour your drink without needing to remove the cap, and the taplock prevents unwanted dispensing. Oh, one more thing. Remember to have this lock on, when you have changed the CO2 cartridge so it doesn’t pressurize your beer while you’re just screwing on the lid mid-batch.
How to Clean the uKeg
Like most new products, you want to make sure it is clean before use. You will also should clean the growler every time you empty it.
This product IS NOT dishwasher safe and can get ruined if you try to clean it using the dishwasher. Dish soap is also not recommend for cleaning.
It is best to fill the keg with warm water and a cleaning tablet, then shake well and rinse. Even better, if you have any CO2 left, you can quickly pressurize the cleaning solution and run it through the tap.
If you don’t have any cleaning tablets, you can substitute baking soda.
Odds and Ends
- Do not use for a beer fermenter
- Hand wash only
- Store upright
- No hot liquids over 120°F
- Keep it clean
- Using a fill-tube is recommended
- Let the beer settle before using to avoid excessive foam
- Use only approved CO2 cartridges
The uKeg growler comes with a 1-year limited warranty against defects. Just make sure you don’t forget to register the product with the manufacturer once you receive it.
Although the uKeg 64 is a bit more expensive than other growlers on the market, it is worth the money if you are wanting a good-looking quality product. It is well constructed, easy to use, and the build quality just leaps out at you over most of its rivals.
I would definitely recommend the Growlerwerks uKeg 64 to and craft beer enthusiasts who enjoys sharing their brews with their friends and family. Taking the uKeg on a road trip, camping, or a family gathering is no hassle at all.
If you really want a beer growler, but just can’t justify the cost of this one, have a look at a few less expensive choices on our review page of other growler options instead.